1. Welcome to Rogue Valley RC
    Dismiss Notice

Pop-Up Ads on Mobile - not cool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nexus, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Nexus

Nexus Registered

So, I logged in using Chrome for Android and got this super-annoying pop-up immediately. Looks like it's being generated by a third-party ad? Regardless, if these ads don't go away I won't visit the site on mobile.

Attached Files:

2. John

John Registered

I've tested this on Android and have never seen any popups so I just went through all the posts here again on my phone and I never get any popups. There are no ads implemented yet on this test board. Is it possible this has to do with something on your phone?

Maybe there is someone else who can test on their phone and see if they also see popups. Chase was going to have a look but I have not seen him register yet.

3. John

John Registered

You know what? I think it's Chrome. I am using the default android browser. There is nothing in the websites source code about ad.yieldmanager.com

4. Nexus

Nexus Registered

Really really doubt it's my phone causing the pop-up. I've never seen anything like it til I posted it. It could be Chrome but I don't use any other mobile browsers to check against. I could download another browser, I guess. Just never had a need to. For what it's worth I'm replying on my Nexus 7 with Chrome and don't have any ads/pop-ups...

5. John

John Registered

I Googled yieldmanager.com and got some interesting results. Some call it a virus, but The Guardian has this to say:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ager-tracking-trackers-cookies-web-monitoring
    It seems that it is a Yahoo owned ad delivery system. We do not have any ads on here yet, we will when we go live, but we do not at this time and when we do they will not be Yahoo based.

It seems you've visited a website that uses yieldmanager ads and you've gotten a cookie on your device. I would try and delete all your cookies and return to this website and you will see there is no popups.

6. Nexus

Nexus Registered

I did clear my cache and cookies. I revisited, logged-in and immediately noticed a small banner ad at the bottom of the page. Check it out.

When I visit from Chrome on a desktop computer (at work that has Facebook blocked at the DNS level) there is a banner ad that's blocked. I'm assuming its the same ad? Maybe it's just a "Like" button? I have no idea, I don't do the Facebook.

Attached Files:

7. John

John Registered

That is strange. I visited the same page on my android phone and I've never seen a single ad. I also just surfed the whole website from my girlfriends iPhone and never saw a single ad.
    I can assure you we do not have any ad software installed whatsoever.

There is a "Recommend" Facebook button at the bottom of the page when viewing topics, also Tweet and G+ buttons. I imagine that is the block you see at work.

It seems like you also did not see and ads while viewing from work, only the DNS level blocked Facebook Button. BTW: were the Tweet and G+ buttons visible at work? They are just to the left of the Facebook button.

8. John

John Registered

Hey Nexus - If you get a chance can you try it on your home desktop?

9. Nexus

Nexus Registered

No ads on the home desktop running Chromium 28

The Twitter, G+ and Facebook buttons are there. The Facebook button is blocked at the DNS level at work so that button is just gone with a generic message about contacting your Network Admin (me).

Strangely enough, I was just on this site, looking at this same thread, from the same phone and all advertising is gone now. Weird. I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway, I just started this thread assuming you had invasive advertising in the software.